Getting to the Start

January 1, 2023
Benito Juárez International Airport to Condesa, Mexico City - 16 Km
Start 2:43pm  Finish 3:56
Total Duration 1:13
Moving Time :53
Stopped Time :20
Ascent 49m
Descent 41m
Tour Total 16km

Happy New Year! I finally made it back to Mexico. I was supposed to leave three days ago on Delta flight 625, but they wouldn’t accept my bike box. I was told that there was an embargo on cardboard boxes going into Mexico on Delta flights. I was rebooked on an Aeromexico flight three days later. I was out two $75 Über XL fees and two non-refundable nights in Mexico City. There would no longer be an acclimation period and New Years Eve festivities. Flying with a bicycle can be such a pain. Past readers know that last year I had a fiasco on American Airlines flying to Mazatlán to begin part #1 of the Trans Mexico del Norte. Long story short, I it’s probably best to be patient with the airline employees. Roll with it. The silver lining is that I spent the last three days editing my Great Divide report. I added an epilogue, stats, and a gear review. If I couldn’t be out there physically, I could at least experience it virtually. 

This morning I set my alarm for 4am. Because it was only a few hours after midnight on New Year’s Day, getting an Über was difficult. I finally made it to JFK terminal 4, and the routine had been well-rehearsed. The line was long and I finally reached the counter. It was $150 to ship my bike and another $50 for the gear. I dropped off both boxes with Oversized Luggage. I had spent an entire afternoon packing and labeling the boxes to perfection. I assured the TSA agent that I had made it easy for him. He replied that if I had made it easy, I would have left it at home. My fingers were crossed. I was assigned priority boarding and given seat 6A with ample leg room and an empty adjacent seat. I nervously hit the bag tracking refresh until takeoff. Nothing was ever posted for either box. 

I slept for much of the flight. When I awoke I lifted the shade and saw ginormous mountains below. After landing I went through immigration and then to baggage claim. After a good long wait my bike box arrived. My gear box took longer, and I started to get nervous. It was the last item to be put on the conveyor. There were no luggage carts in the arrival area and I had to drag my large boxes over to baggage inspection. A friendly security officer let me bypass it. 

I dragged everything out into the terminal and began reassembling my bike. A friendly Mexican guy who lived in Vancouver, Washington kept me company. He was also a cyclist, and was interested in touring in Mexico. It took a long time for me to assemble my bike and mount all of the bags and devices. At long last I was ready to pedal into the city.

It was glorious being in shorts and a short-sleeve shirt riding my bike through Mexico City. I Google mapped the route to the hotel and knew where I was by the time I was halfway. I rode over to the Zócalo to get a selfie, and over to Avenida Reforma for another photo. I checked into my hotel and began readjusting my gear. I rode over to a supermarket and purchased sun screen, insect repellent, two bags of refried beans, and a can of sliced peaches. In addition I picked up three liters of water and a few cans of Dos Equis for the hotel room.

I cycled around the neighborhood of Roma, and my favorite taco place was unfortunately closed. I stopped at Bistro a vin Tripa for a couple bottles of Allende Brown Ale, some fried chicken, and a Caesar salad. I rode back to the hotel, and finished this report. It had been a long nerve-wracking day.

Avenida Reforma, Mexico City

WTF?

Zócalo, Mexico City

Well deserved Allende Brown Ale


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Table of Contents

Trans-Mexico Part 2 Day #10 Santa Maria Tatltepec to San Antonio Huitepec

Trans-Mexico Part 2 Day #9 Los Tejocotes to Santa Maria Tatltepec